Thursday

Transaction Problem on eBay or PayPal? Enter Twitter Customer Service: Why It's Time

Huzzah! eBay and PayPal have taken the steps to give customers a place to easily reach them on Twitter: @AskeBay and @AskPayPal. I find the Paypal account to be anxious to please and it's good that they post their availability hours, but they often work past the posted times. The current PayPal Twitter-team includes includes Adrian (^AM), Olivia (^OJK), and Frank (^FG). The @AskeBay account has been online since December 2011 as part of eBay's push into social media. Here's how frequently they actually tweet:

My email has been deluged for the past 15 years with email from readers and eBay members who want me to help them. I help most everyone who emails me, but the intrinsic problem is, people don't understand that I don't work for eBay. I can't get into existing transactions. What I can do is give you best practices both on Paypal and eBay, but I have no "inner connection" to anyone at the company.

It's serendipitous that @AskPayPal has been active on on Twitter since 2009. Around the same time, I blogged  Social Media Marketing? Learn from Successful eBay Sellers and eBay Founder, Pierre Omidyar re-Tweeted the post. That's when I knew I got it right. That's when I knew that I had to expand my books to include customer service.

Customer service is the key to success for any eBay seller or brand. I've been beating this drum for over a decade and it is great to know others finally agree. I wrote a book (aimed at small business) The Ultimate Online Customer Service Guide: How to Connect with your Customers to Sell More and gave examples of small business successfully conncting online.

What's very telling about a brand is what they tweet about, especially if they are a customer service account. Here's theTweet-Cloud (from TweetStats.com) on the two accounts:

On Twitter we have a customer service chat every week and we've been discussing the importance of this outreach for almost two years. If customer service is important to you or your business - why not join in? Tuesdays 9p ET/6p PT hashtag #custserv 

My personal brand of customer service is refelcted in my writing. All my books are written from my own experience and research. I have never recommended any tool, app or product that I haven't used myself satisfactorily. Writing these books, is a responsibility; one I owe to the people who read them. I've never charged people for help because I feel we are in a community. You read my books, we chat online and we are connected. That's how I connect.

I wrote the first eBay For Dummies in 1997, and the 2012 edition just published. If you want to do business on eBay, it just might save you some panic-filled tweets.