This Mobile Barcode Promotion was approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission on May 17, 2011 and for those of you using Direct Mail Marketing. I thought you should be aware of the available discount!
Mobile barcodes are two-dimensional barcodes that can be read by any smartphone with a 2d barcode reader application. These mobile barcodes, when scanned, can direct an otherwise passive customer to take immediate action – make a purchase, register for an event, or download a coupon.
The Mobile Barcode Promotion was designed to build awareness of mobile barcodes and demonstrate to mailers how mobile barcodes can increase the value of mail, while "blurring" the lines between online and offline marketing.
How does the Program work?
The Mobile Barcode Promotion runs July 1, 2011 through August 31, 2011, providing business mailers with an upfront three percent discount on Standard Mail and First-Class Mail® letters and flats that include a mobile barcode. The following rules apply:
- Mobile barcode must be two-dimensional and readable by a mobile smartphone. One dimensional barcodes do NOT qualify.
- Mailing documentation must be submitted electronically and postage must be paid using a Permit Imprint. Current electronic submission methods include: Mail.XML, Mail.dat and Postal Wizard.
- Participating mailers will be required to affirmatively claim this promotion in electronic postage statement submissions, certifying each mailpiece contains a mobile barcode either within contents of mailpiece or on outside of mailpiece.
- All mailpieces in a mailing statement must contain a mobile barcode.
- With the exception of IMb full service discount, only one incentive per mailing will apply.
- Mobile barcode must be used for marketing and advertising purposes. Mailpieces containing mobile barcode that convey information about the postage value, destination, sender and machine serial number for security do not qualify.